Tuesday, July 7, 2009

No Alligator For Me, Thanks

I'm sure we'll be eating plenty of Japanese food while we're here in NYC, but for our first night, we decided to visit Natori with our friend James. Near Village Yokocho, which we're saving for another night, the only thing I knew about this place was that they served alligator meat. I'm mostly vegetarian (I eat seafood), so the alligator was not a big draw, but I do love all things sushi. The door to the place only allowed one person in at a time because they put a table right in front on the porch. You have to squeeze past the people at the table, open the door, let yourself in, then close the door so the next person has room to squeeze past the people at the table and start the process over again. Oh, you want to know about the food? Right. So, I tasted more sauce than spinach in the gomae and the yellowtail roll was nothing special. Of course, I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area where fresh sushi isn't hard to find, so maybe it takes more to impress me. There were some yummy stewed mushrooms that I wish I could remember the name of, but the highlight was the deep fried munster cheese. Quite unexpected on the menu next to the avocado rolls and tofu, but seriously delicious. Bite-sized, cheesy, fried, and delicious. Deep fried munster cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment