Monday, July 13, 2009

Day 4 Simple Cafe and Tai Thai

Disclaimer: Our internet has been down for the last four days so we couldn't post anything. Now we're going to catch back up!

We woke up late this day and headed straight to the city to get tickets at the TKTS booth. An attempt which was easily thwarted by the fact that they don’t open until after three p.m.

Kirstin badly wanted some real breakfast food so I figured this was as good a time as any to check out the cafe across the street from where we where staying. A very sleek looking place called the Simple Cafe.

Kirstin ordered some sort of egg concoction. She wanted fruit instead of potatoes but with no watermelon. Then she ordered a mimosa as well as the orange juice and coffee that came with the menu. Our vaguely European waitress seemed very amused by this. I had a burger with blue cheese and no bun, the only thing I could really eat on the menu besides a huge streak frites.

The food was fine, my burger was juicy and the fries a perfect level of fried and salted. What wasn’t fine was the price for my patty of ground meat and potatoes I was charged a full $11. I don’t mind spending money on food but when I know the cost is something like one tenth of the price I pay my feathers get a little ruffled.

For dinner I was determined to eat some food that wasn’t Asian since our last three meals dinners were Japanese, Malaysian, Japanese. I figured we’d just walk down Bedford toward the party we where going to and find something. With me and Kirstin’s dietary restrictions (No wheat, mammal meat, milk or eggs) that was easier said than done. After much searching we gave in and settled for a little Thai place called Tai Thai.

This place was surprisingly good, we ordered green papaya salad, spring rolls and Pad Thai, all the Thai basics. Each dish was a perfect example of how it made it’s way onto every Thai menu in the states. The pad thai was sweet and tangy, the spring rolls fresh and crunch and the papaya salad was actually, I think, the best I’ve ever had.

The place seemed to be run by at least four waitresses who all tended to each table. They weren’t the most pleasant servers I’ve had but it was by far the most time-efficient eating experience I’ve had that still tasted good.

No comments:

Post a Comment