Monday, July 13, 2009

Day 5 Ella Cafe, Odessa, Oasis


This was the day we planned on going to the Natural History Museum but first we had to have breakfast/lunch. We ran into the same dietary obstacles as the night before only this time I was very cranky from lack of sleep and food.

After a long very unpleasant search up and down Bedford ave. we finally settled on a new agey overly modern place called Ella Cafe. I got a ordered the tomato soup with meatballs and a small green salad. Both of these where entirely bland and to add insult to injury the meatballs where strangely rubbery. I suppose places that advertise themselves as organic and healthy are just as suspect here as they are back home.

That night we had planned on having a dinner meeting to work on our Cultures of Wonder project. We needed a place we could sit and drink at for a long time. Where better for such a meeting than the legendary East Village Russian diner Odessa?

Between the four of us I think we ate close to fifteen pounds of food. I ordered the Odessa combination plate which came with a kielbasa sausage, a giant pile of sour kraut, a huge potato pancake and four perogies which I gave to Kirstin. I also ordered a bowl of borsht.

I know that of the two major Russian restaurants in the area Veselka is considered the better. I can’t really remember the difference from when I lived here but I can’t see how any home style Russian food could be better than what I ate that night. To a certain degree Russian food is simple enough that there really isn’t too much space for flare or nuance. At the end of the day a kielbasa is a kielbasa and a potato pancake is just a really good patty of hash browns. Still living on the west coast and not spending a lot of time in the Richmond district I’ve truly missed this type of food. This was a meal to rival any I’ve eaten in all my culinary adventures.

Later that night we headed back to Oasis. Once again I got the grilled lamb plate and ate the whole thing. I think there’s a good chance I ate more meet in a twenty four hour period this day than I ever have in my entire life.


Lamb Kabob from Oasis

No comments:

Post a Comment