Monday, July 13, 2009

In Which Kirstin Gets Her Wish

We had a delicious brunch today at the place that is right across the street from where we’re staying. It’s called Simple Café. I ordered a goat cheese and tomato omelet with sides of green salad and fruit (no watermelon). It came with homemade bread in the form of little bready dew drops perfectly cooked. In addition, I ordered a raspberry mimosa. The waitress with a French accent asked if I knew that the breakfast plate also came with coffee and orange juice. Oh yes, I knew. I knew that this meant I was getting three drinks, not even including the cucumber-infused water provided at the table. We sat on the porch of the café both facing out toward the street and I was so happy with my wonderful breakfast that I didn’t mind the car alarm going off right in front of us.

Dinner was at Tai Thai on Bedford. After swearing we were going to try a place that didn’t serve Asian cuisine for another straight night, we wandered up and down the main drag reading menus, and finally decided that we could always do non-Asian on another day. This place had a really good green papaya salad without too much fish sauce, well-prepared fresh spring rolls that were denser than usual and covered in tamarind sauce, and some great pad thai that hit the spot. I kept looking up at this sign that said “cocktail room” in neon lights, so we ordered the first cocktail on the menu – something with vodka, honey, and ginger, I think. Sweet and fresh-tasting like lemonade, but not so much that your mouth tingled. And at the end of the meal, while looking for the bathroom, I followed the sign for “cocktail room” down the hall and found another big room in the back with a bar (presumably this was said “cocktail room”), and a back porch for tables. I would probably want to sit there next time, but in this nice summer weather, the front room where we sat had the large glass doors to the street open, making it also very airy. The other thing I have to mention about this place is the staff. The fast service was absolutely remarkable. We had barely even put in our order when it was on our table.

We finished the evening with friends at a bar nearby that also had bowling, although we didn’t bowl. Someone knew someone who knew someone (or something like that) so we each were given a large pretzel stick dipped in chocolate on the house. An unexpected treat at the end of a day filled with good food.

So much liquid:

Brunch food:

Thai food:

No comments:

Post a Comment