Monday, July 13, 2009

Day 6 Five Points, The Rabbit Hole

The ongoing lunch vs. brunch battle between me and Kirstin was unnecessary this morning. We’d had plans all week to have brunch with her friends at a place in the Village called Five Points. We even had reservations.

I couldn’t eat much at this place, I ordered a salad with hanger steak, a perfectly good little item. Not really what I wanted at the time but my only other option was another burger with no bun.

The egg dishes I saw other people consuming however where pretty amazing looking. They seemed to be eggs cooked in almost tagine like terra-cotta vessels along with various other ingredients like tomatoes, goat cheese and spring onions. I was a little jealous.

For dinner me and Kirstin ate separately for the first time since our arrival. She went out with her friends in the east village and I went back to Williamsburg to get a little done and meet up with my friends later.

I had dinner across the street from our apartment at a place called the Rabbit Hole. At first I’d hoped to get some food and post some of these blogs since they advertised free Wi-Fi and our connection was still down. When I asked them about it they told me they didn’t allow laptops after 5 p.m. A perfectly admirable policy. I went elsewhere to check my email then decided to head back there for dinner.

I chose this place because it was relatively laid back and empty. I had no idea how long it would take my friends to get out here so I wanted a place I could sit, read comic books and drink wine as long as a wanted.

I walked in and ordered steak frites from the bartender, a big goofy guy who kept calling me “mang” like he was Tony Montana. The steak was actually quite good, served pre-sliced with a very nice red wine and peppercorn sauce, the fries where shoestring style, well cooked and great when dipped in the sauce and steak juice.

The atmosphere was very calming. The bar area was entirely opened up to the street allowing it to have a pleasant airy feel and we where far enough south to avoid being overtaken by hipsters or anyone else. I could have sat there and drank wine all night.

No comments:

Post a Comment