Thursday, July 9, 2009

Day 3 The Street, the Cloisters, Village Yokocho


I didn't really have lunch yesterday; just a mediocre skewer on 40th st. and a mediocre salad at the Cloisters.

I was saving my appetite for dinner. Village Yokocho, my favorite restaurant in the entire world. It's an izakaya place, or a japanes pub, all small dishes. We had 15 different dishes in all. There was only four people in our party.

The brevity of Kirstin's posts have inspired me and, since describing everything we ate in detail would take something like a small novella, I'm going to attempt to give a one line description of everything we ate.

Spicy tuna in a bowl (Not a Roll!) - Creamy and spicy. One of the best foods on earth!
Grilled Corn - A special for this day. Grilled with special sauce
Quail Egg Yakatori - Boiled, skewered and grilled. I dream of these sometimes
Mountain Potato w/ plum paste - The only food too weird for me and not for Kirstin
Asparagus Yakatori with bacon - Skewered and wrapped in bacon. 'Nuff said
Garlic Yakatori - Simple and so much better than it sounds. Served with hot sauce
Tokoyaki - Octopus balls! I couldn't eat them because of the wheat
Oysters and Shiitake Mushrooms in Foil - Roasted on the grill in butter and sake
Mixed Kushi-Age - We didn't order this is just came. It was assorted fried food. Too fried!
Chinese Broccoli - Pretty standard sautéed chinese greens
Mackerel Sashimi - I'm not so big on raw mackerel so I didn't try it
Kim Chi - Preserved cabbage. 75 million Koreans can't be wrong
Goma Ae - Spinach with sesame sauce. A Japanese classic
Fried Soft Shell Crab - Teenage crabs lightly fried and served with Ponzu sauce
Fried lotus root w/ minced Shrimp - Another one of the things I dream about when I'm away
Duck Yakatori w/ scallions - skewered and grilled. Fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment