Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Food!

We started the day walking along 6th street where all the Indian restaurants are. I decided on Raj Mahal because this one had a table on the porch in front of the recessed doorway. It was a good deal, something like 5.95 for soup, samosas, pita, dahl, and an entree. It was good. I especially liked the soup, which apparently is one of those kinds of dishes that everyone has their own special recipe for. I approve of this restaurant's recipe.

I finally found the Van Leeuwen ice cream truck after we descended from Highline Park, right next to a film shoot with Chris Kattan. I had a heaping coneful of hazelnut ice cream. The ice cream was delicious, as was the cone (I don't think people usually notice the cone, but this one was definitely noticeably yummy).

We met James for dinner in Astoria at the Kabab Cafe. No wait, make that the Kabab Cafe! Because that's what the sign outside the restaurant says, and everything is clearly better when you add an exclamation point to the end of it. It's just one guy making all the food and only a few tables. We sat for three hours, which was fine since we ordered a few courses, including sardines and beet salad. I had hawashi for my entree, and it was super good - a mix of ground up mushrooms between thin pita with homemade yogurt, veggies, a fresh piece of fruit, and fried greens. The greens were fried to a crispy crunch, which I love. Homemade yogurt! Beet salad! Kabab Cafe!

View from our table at Raj Mahal:


Samosa:


My table at the Kabab Cafe was looking at me:


Beet salad:


Hawashi (for those not ordering large plates of meat):

No comments:

Post a Comment