Sunday, June 20, 2010

Pho Report #3 - Miss Siagon


Miss Saigon gets it’s own entry in Pho report.

This is really more of a love letter than a review.

The reasons that Miss Saigon occupies this place are only in a small way about there Pho’ but since that’s what this series is about I’ll go over that first.

The Pho’s here is just on the earthy side of perfect. The noodles are always well cooked, the broth is deep and meaty and the beef is a fine, fresh cut. The noodle soup served here is completely satisfying for any Pho’ aficionado.

Pho aside what keeps bringing me back here (besides it’s nearness to sleepwalkers rehearsal space) is something much more ephemeral. I have spent many a lunch and dinner sitting in the open dinning room of this peaceful oasis on the gritty corner of sixth and mission. Something about the fact that they fill the air with a CD of muzaked American folk songs that have animal sounds for interludes while an old MGM musical plays silently on the TV makes me never want to leave. In fact this restaurants is one of the few places in the city I feel at ease. Somehow when I sit there with my bowl of soup the chaos outside slips away and time stops.

2 comments:

  1. Agreed. One of the best bowls of S. Veitnamese Pho around

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. inca kola

    ReplyDelete