Monday, June 7, 2010

Of Ruebens, wheat and Jews


I may be vehement anti-Zionist and a borderline self-loathing Jew, but still one of the things I miss most since realizing I couldn’t eat wheat is the Reuben sandwich.

The Reuben, for those of you who don’t know, is a hot corn beef sandwich on rye bread with Russian or thousand island dressing, Swiss cheese and sour kraut. Incidentally, much like myself, the Reuben is often thought of as Jewish although in reality it isn’t. In the Rueben's case it’s not Kosher because it’s against Kosher law to have meat and cheese on the same plate. In my case, I’m not Jewish because my mother wasn’t and that’s what counts.

Anyways, I’ve been missing Rueben's for the past few years until something hit me the other night while watching the sandwich obsessed TV show Chuck. I can make a Reuben I can eat! My favorite non-wheat bread, after all, was a rye. How this had never occurred to me before I’ll never know.

So I assembled my ingredients, made a quick thousand island dressing (ketchup, pickles and mayonnaise) slapped that thing and a frying pan with a little butter on the outside sides of the bread and before I knew it I was reading eating a Reuben and reading about how Jew’s can be stupid too in the New York Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment